Hunt Of The Blood Moon

So, yesterday was a lunar eclipse, and by now I'm shure everyone has seen hundreds of photos in newspapers or on social media sites. Today I decided to add to that pile of text and images. You're welcome.

To be honest, I actually never wanted to photograph the bloodmoon, as I didn't have any experience in nighttime photography and wasn't expecting any sort of success using a OM-D E-M10 Mark II and micro four thirds lenses. Still, I decided at around 9:30 to give it a shot (pun intended), but only had enough to time set up my tripod in the garden, as the moon was already rising. I figured that as long as I would use a reasonably high ISO, a low aperture and long shutter speeds, everything would turn out fine. Starting out with a 60mm f2.8 macro lens, I took my first picture of a star:

_7271218_1
It's...something, I guess? - f/4 for 0.1sec, ISO 6400

Ok...let's try a higher shutter speed.

_7271219_2
Better. Still bad, but...better. - f/4 for 2sec, ISO 6400

Alright, first lesson: Adjust the shutter speed to a higher value. Got it. With that in mind, I'm shure my first picture of the bloodmoon will turn out great:

_7271221_3
Welp. - f/3.2 for 16.5sec, ISO 1600

Looking back, I have no idea what made me use a shutter speed of 16 seconds. Not only will the picture be too bright, but every little movement of the camera will also ruin it. So, let's try that again with a much lower shutter speed, a timer and the electronic shutter, to eliminate as much vibration as possible:

_7271225_1
f/2.8 for 1sec, ISO 1600

Now up the ISO and shutter speed:

_7271233_2
f/2.8 for 2.5sec, ISO 3200

Hey, we're getting somewhere. Although the moon was way too small for my taste, so at this point I had to sacrifice the low aperture of my macro lens for a zoom. I switched to my 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens:

_7271235_3
f/5.6 for 2.5sec, ISO 2500

Slightly bigger, but I wasn't happy with the sharpness of the moon, so I gradually lowered the shutter speed, until I settled on this picture:

_7271272_1
f/5.6 for 0.5sec, ISO 2000 - The best of the worst.

After some cropping, vignetting and oversharpening in Luminar, this was the final result:

_7271272

I'm kinda ok with it. Not shure if I even could have done better, based on my equipment and location, and I shure learned a lot about nighttime photography. I also finally wrote an article on my website, so overall, I'd call this whole ordeal a success.